Leb-Spy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graziano lauds compatriots in UNIFIL at ceremony in South Italian ambassador attends event

Go down

Graziano lauds compatriots in UNIFIL at ceremony in South Italian ambassador attends event Empty Graziano lauds compatriots in UNIFIL at ceremony in South Italian ambassador attends event

Post by Admin Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:34 am

Commander of the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) Major General Claudio Graziano saluted on Tuesday efforts undertaken by Italian peacekeepers to preserve peace and stability in the South. "When making an assessment of the progress in the implementation of UNIFIL's mandate in close cooperation with our partners the Lebanese Army, we have to officially recognize that the Italian contingent is performing its duties with a great sense of professionalism and commitment," he said during the Medal Parade organized by the Italian contingent at their headquarters near the coastal city of Tyre.

The ceremony was attended by Italian Ambassador to Lebanon Gabriel Checchia, commanders of other UNIFIL contingents, as well as mayors of the Tyre region.

"Over the last 18 months, your responsibilities as peacekeepers have increased many folds by providing constant awareness and alertness adherent to the new missions' challenges," he said. "Within the Joint Task Force 'Lebanon' Sector West, Italy plays the remarkable role of leading country, and this is certainly a great honor, but a huge burden as well."

In his speech Graziano said that since the Italian contingent took over responsibility of UNIFIL's western sector, "I have been observing closely the operational duties performed not only by the specialized maneuver units, but also the process of command coordination and control developed by the western sector's headquarters."

"Over the past five months I have appreciated, day after day, the professionalism and reliability of the Italian peacekeepers," he added.

Graziano stressed that he "strongly believed that a ripe environment for peace is achievable in South Lebanon."
"I will never get tired of reaffirming our commitment to pursuing our mission by doing our utmost in close cooperation with the Lebanese Armed Forces to ensure stability in our area of operations," he said.

Graziano added that "the continued commitment" of the parties to the cessation of hostilities was also one of the most important considerations to the implementation of UN Resolution 1701.

"I find to this date that the commitment of all the parties remains firm. This is necessary because it is ultimately for the parties to ensure that their respective responsibilities toward Resolution 1701 are respected," he added.

Created in 1978, UNIFIL was boosted to a 13,000-strong international force following the 34-day war with Israel in July and August 2006.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2008-03-03

https://leb-spy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down