Leb-Spy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bishop Matar: We will support 1960 electoral if modified

Go down

Bishop Matar: We will support 1960 electoral if modified Empty Bishop Matar: We will support 1960 electoral if modified

Post by Admin Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:23 pm

Bishop Boulos Matar, the Archbishop of Beirut, called for an end to the inter Christian disputes during an interview which was broadcast today.

Bishop Matar denied that the bishops are divided as was claimed by pro-Syrian former minister Suleiman Franjiyeh and said " We all follow our leadership of Patriarch Nasrallah Boutros Sfeir".

Matar said the church is not opposed to the 1960 electoral law but want some adjustments in it.

Matar called for total reconciliation in Lebanon and said the election of the president is everyone 's responsibility and not only the responsibility of the Maronite MPs , since the president is the president of the whole republic and all the members of the parliament should meet and elect him as soon as possible.

Matar said just like the UN is independent of the United States , the Damascus summit should be independent of
Syria. He added " I know there are many conflicting opinions about participation in the summit and "I do not want to state my opinion before the government issues its final verdict regarding participation or boycotting."

Matar said general Michel Aoun's visit along with MP Ibrahim Kanaan was "to wish us well during the holidays".
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2008-03-03

https://leb-spy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down